Dana Incorporated is an American supplier of axles, driveshafts, transmissions, and electrodynamic, thermal, sealing, and digital equipment for conventional, hybrid, and electric-powered vehicles. The company's products and services are aimed at the light vehicle, commercial vehicle, and off-highway equipment markets. Founded in 1904 and based in Maumee, Ohio, the company employs nearly 36,000 people in 33 countries. In 2019, Dana generated sales of $8.6 billion. The company is included in the Fortune 500
*In 1904, Clarence W. Spicer
, engineer, inventor, and founder of the company, began manufacturing universal joints in Plainfield, New Jersey
* Also in 1904, the first C.W. Spicer "u-joints" were shipped to Corbin Motor Company in Connecticut.
* In 1905, Spicer Universal Joint Manufacturing Company was incorporated.
* In 1909, the company changed its name to Spicer Manufacturing Company
* In 1910, Spicer relocated to South Plainfield, New Jersey
* In 1914, Charles Dana
joined the company.
* In 1922, Spicer was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
* In 1925, Spicer expanded internationally taking a holding in licensee in England, Hardy, renamed Hardy Spicer
* In 1946, Dana became president and treasurer, and the company was renamed the Dana Corporation. Spicer becomes the brand name for the company's driveline products.
* In 1972, Dana bought a 35% stake in Wolverhampton-based engineering company, Turner Manufacturing. The remaining shares were acquired a few years later.
* In 2006, Dana filed for bankruptcy.
* In 2007, Dana canceled 150 million shares of stock during their bankruptcy.
* In 2018, Dana announced that it was buying a majority stake in TM4 Inc.
, a company specialized in electric powertrains, for C$165 million (US$127 million).
* In 2019, Dana acquired privately held SME Group (Italy).
* In March 2019, Dana purchased Drive Systems segment of the Oerlikon Group
, including the Graziano Trasmissioni
and Fairfield brands and VOCIS, a wholly owned electronic controls business located in the UK.
*In August 2019, Dana acquired Nordresa Motors, Inc.
*In 2020, Dana started using 3D printers at its Advanced Manufacturing Center in Maumee, Ohio to manufacture face shield components for use during the coronavirus pandemic
Key products include axle
s, drive shaft
s, universal joint
s and sealing and thermal-management products.
*Dana S 110
* Twin Traction Beam
Category:Auto parts suppliers of the United States
Category:Companies based in Toledo, Ohio
Category:Lucas County, Ohio
Category:Manufacturing companies based in Ohio
Category:Companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange
Category:1904 establishments in New Jersey
Category:Manufacturing companies established in 1904
Category:Automotive transmission makers