The CENTRAL UNITED STATES is sometimes conceived as between the
Eastern United States and
Western United States as part of a
three-region model, roughly coincident with the U.S. Census'
definition of the
Midwestern United States plus the western and
central portions of the U.S. Census' definition of the Southern United
States . The Central States are typically considered to consist of
4 of 9 Census Bureau Divisions have names containing "Central", though they are not grouped as a region. They include 20 states and 39.45% of the US population as of July 1, 2007.
Almost all of the area is in the
Gulf of Mexico
Central Time Zone is the same area plus the
Floods have been a problem for the region during the 20th and early-21st century
Census Bureau Divisions with CENTRAL in name. *
Map of U.S. time zones between April 2, 2006, and March 11, 2007. The
current situation is different only in that Pulaski County,
Continental divides in
CENTRAL REGIONS DEFINED BY ORGANIZATIONS
Organizations that need to subdivide the US are free to define a "Central" region to fit their needs.
* YPO Only 6 central states of the Midwest, plus KY * CERI All of Midwest and South including MD, DE * NOAA Midwest minus OH, plus KY, CO, WY * HSUS Midwest minus ND, SD, KS, plus KY * USGS West North Central States , South Central United States , 4 eastern Mountain States * Adventure Camp Midwest plus South minus Atlantic states, AL, WV * Geography of the Interior United States * National League Central Division, members in PA, OH, WI, IL, MO; TX through 2012 * American League Central Division, members in OH, MI, IL, MN, MO * National Basketball Association Central Division , members in OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, former members from NC, FL, GA, LA, and Ontario (Canada) * National Hockey League Central Division , members in CO, MN, TN, TX, IL, MO and Manitoba (Canada), former members in MI, AZ, OH and Ontario (Canada) * Former National Football Conference Central Division , members in FL, MI, IL, WI, MN * Former American Football Conference Central Division , members in MD, PA, FL, OH, TN, former member from TX
* ^ A B C D E See Census definition
* ^ Detailed Tables - American FactFinder * ^ Iman Mallakpour & Gabriele Villarini (29 September 2014). "The changing nature of flooding across the central United States". Nature Climate Change. Nature. 5: 250–254. doi :10.1038/nclimate2516 . Retrieved 8 November 2015.
* v * t * e
Regions of the United States
* Hawaii–Aleutian * Alaska * Pacific * Mountain * Central * Eastern
* Pacific * Mountain
* E N Central * W N Central
* S Atlantic * E S Central * W S Central
Courts of appeals
* 1st * 2nd * 3rd * 4th * 5th * 6th * 7th * 8th * 9th * 10th * 11th