Bikas Kanta Chakrabarti (born in Calcutta on December 14, 1952) is an Indian physicist. He is presently emeritus professor of physics at the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, India.
Chakrabarti received his Ph.D. degree from Calcutta University in 1979. Following post-doctoral work at the University of Oxford and the University of Cologne, he joined the faculty of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) in 1983. Since January 2018, he is J. C. Bose National Fellow and Emeritus Professor at SINP, Honorary Emeritus Professor at S.N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata. He is a former director of SINP. He is also an Honorary Visiting Professor of economics at the Indian Statistical Institute. Much of Chakrabarti's research has centered around statistical physics, condensed matter physics, computational physics, and their application to social sciences. He has authored several books and papers in the fields of physics and economics.
Honors and awards
- Quantum Ising Phases and Transitions in Transverse Ising Models, Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Amit Dutta and Parangama Sen, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (1996).
- Statistical Physics of Fracture and Breakdown in Disordered Solids, Bikas K. Chakrabarti and L. Gilles Benguigui, Oxford University Press, Oxford (1997).
- Econophysics: An Introduction, Sitabhra Sinha, Arnab Chatterjee, Anirban Chakraborti and Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Wiley-VCH, Berlin (2011)
- Econophysics of Income & Wealth Distributions, Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Anirban Chakraborti, Satya R. Chakravarty and Arnab Chatterjee, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2013).
- Quantum Ising Phases and Transitions in Transverse Ising Models, Sei Suzuki, Jun-ichi Inoue and Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg (2013).
- Sociophysics: An Introduction, Parangama Sen and Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Oxford University Press, Oxford (2014).
- Quantum Phase Transitions in Transverse Field Spin Models: From Statistical Physics to Quantum Information, Amit Dutta, Gabriel Aeppli, Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Uma Divakaran, Thomas Felix Rosenbaum & Diptiman Sen, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2015).
- Statistical Physics of Fracture, Breakdown & Earthquakes, Soumyajyoti Biswas, Purusattam Ray & Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Wiley-VCH, Berlin (2015).
- Quantum Spin Glasses, Annealing and Computation, Shu Tanaka, Ryo Tamura & Bikas K. Chakrabarti, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2017).
- Econophysics of the Kolkata Restaurant Problem and Related Games: Classical and Quantum Strategies for Multi-agent, Multi-choice Repetitive Games, Bikas K Chakrabarti, Arnab Chatterjee, Asim Ghosh, Sudip Mukherjee & Boaz Tamir, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland (2017)
- B. K. Chakrabarti and M. Acharyya, Dynamic Transitions and Hysteresis, Rev. Mod. Phys. 71, 847 (1999)
- A. Das and B. K. Chakrabarti, Quantum Annealing and Analog Quantum Computations, Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 1061 (2008)
- S. Pradhan, A. Hansen, and B. K. Chakrabarti, Failure Processes in Elastic Fiber Bundles, Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 499 (2010).
- H. Kawamura, T. Hatano, N. Kato, S. Biswas, and B. K. Chakrabarti, Statistical Physics of Fracture, Friction, and Earthquakes, Rev. Mod. Phys. 84, 839 (2012).
- A. Chakraborti, D. Challet, A. Chatterjee, M. Marsili, Y.-C. Zhang, and B. K. Chakrabarti, Statistical Mechanics of Competitive Resource Allocation using Agent-Based Models, Phys. Rep. 552, 1 (2015).