The Info List - Arthur Allan Thomas

--- Advertisement ---

Arthur Allan Thomas (born 2 January 1938[1]) is a New Zealand man who was granted a Royal Pardon and compensation after being wrongfully convicted of the murders of Harvey and Jeannette Crewe
Harvey and Jeannette Crewe
in June 1970. Thomas was married and farming a property in the Pukekawa district, south of Auckland before the case. Following the revelation that the crucial evidence against him had been faked, Thomas was pardoned and awarded NZ$950,000 in compensation for his 9 years in prison and loss of earnings. [2]


1 Campaign to overturn the convictions 2 Royal Commission of inquiry

2.1 No action against police officers

3 Subsequent events 4 See also 5 References 6 Further reading 7 External links

Campaign to overturn the convictions[edit] There were numerous inconsistencies in the evidence, which led to an outcry among elements in the farming community and among relatives of Thomas and his wife, Vivien Thomas. That led to the formation of the Arthur Thomas Retrial Committee. The report by a retired judge, Sir George MacGregor, which rejected the appeal for a retrial was also riddled with inconsistencies and inaccuracies. However, a report on that by journalist Terry Bell, then deputy editor of the Auckland Star
Auckland Star
Saturday edition, was rejected for publication on the grounds that "it is not the role of the newspapers to attempt to try the courts". Bell then resigned and produced the booklet Bitter Hill, which is the English meaning of Pukekawa, outlining inconsistencies in the prosecution's case and the theory advanced by the retrial committee. It provided the impetus for a national campaign that eventually led to a controversial retrial where the jury was housed incommunicado with police in a local hotel. Thomas was again convicted. Pat Booth, the assistant editor of the Auckland Star, attended the retrial and became concerned. As part of the campaign for a pardon, Booth wrote a book, Trial by Ambush. That was followed by another campaigning book, Beyond Reasonable Doubt, by British investigative author David Yallop, which was subsequently made into a film of the same name.[3] Thomas received a pardon, and a Royal Commission report explicitly stated that detectives had used ammunition and a rifle taken from his farm to fabricate false evidence against him. A 2014 police review of the case acknowledged police misconduct was probably the explanation for the key evidence against Thomas, a spent cartridge case.[4] Royal Commission of inquiry[edit] A Royal Commission of Inquiry was established, headed by retired New South Wales Justice Robert Taylor. It declared Thomas to have been wrongfully charged and convicted and found that among other improprieties, police had planted a .22 rifle cartridge case in the garden of the house in which the murders were committed. The case was found four months and ten days after the area had already been subjected to one of the most intensive police searches ever undertaken. The cartridge case was said to have come from a rifle belonging to Thomas. However, the police tested only 64 rifles in an area where this weapon was common and found that two, including the one belonging to Thomas – could have fired the cartridge case found in the garden. That was the link to the deaths of the Crewes although it was later admitted that the case was "clean" and uncorroded when it was found. As such, the condition of the case was inconsistent with having lain in the garden, exposed to weather and dirt for more than four months. No action against police officers[edit] The commission report said: "Mr Hutton and Mr [Len] Johnston planted the shell case... and they did so to manufacture evidence that Mr Thomas' rifle had been used for the killings."[5] The Solicitor-General recommended against prosecuting the officers because of insufficient evidence.[6] Both officers have since died. Subsequent events[edit] In 2009 Arthur Allan Thomas travelled to Christchurch to support David Bain, who also had criminal convictions against him overturned.[7] In 2010 he collaborated with investigative journalist Ian Wishart on the book Arthur Allan Thomas, where for the first time he gave his perspective on his life, from before the murders to the present. The two detectives who planted the shell which helped convict Thomas are now dead. Johnston died in 1978. Bruce Hutton, 83, died in Middlemore Hospital in April 2013.[8] At Hutton's funeral, Deputy Commissioner Mike Bush praised Mr Hutton and said he was known for having "integrity beyond reproach".[9] An editorial in the New Zealand Herald said: "that was clearly absurd. It was also an unthinking or calculated insult to Mr Thomas, who spent nine years in prison before being pardoned".[10] Thomas, then aged 75 years old, responded by saying the police were engaged in "a blatant cover up".[11] A police review of the original investigation released in July 2014 cleared all other suspects and implied that Arthur Thomas remained a police suspect.[12][13][14] See also[edit]

Beyond Reasonable Doubt, a 1982 film about the conviction of Thomas Crime in New Zealand


^ Wishart, Ian (2010). "chapter 2". Arthur Allan Thomas: The Inside Story. New Zealand: Howling at the Moon Publishing. p. 280. ISBN 978-0-9582401-7-8.  ^ Report of the Royal Commission to Inquire into the Circumstances of the Convictions of Arthur Allan Thomas for the Murders of David Harvey Crewe and Jeanette Lenore Crewe, 1980 (PDF), p. 120, retrieved 15 October 2010  ^ "Beyond Reasonable Doubt". nzonscreen.com. Retrieved 5 August 2014.  ^ Crewe murders: Police admit cartridge planted, http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/10327013/Crewe-murders-Police-admit-cartridge-planted Retrieved 13. 12. 17 ^ Report of the Royal Commission to Inquire into the Circumstances of the Convictions of Arthur Allan Thomas for the Murders of David Harvey Crewe and Jeanette Lenore Crewe, 1980 (PDF), p. 87, retrieved 1 September 2013  ^ "Secret Thomas report released, 29 years on". Otago Daily Times. 29 May 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2013.  ^ " Arthur Allan Thomas in Christchurch to support Bain". The Press. 2 March 2009. Retrieved 16 July 2009.  ^ Crewe 'plant' cop dies ^ Thomas: It's a blatant cover up ^ Editorial: Eulogy shows police have a long way to go ^ Akoorie, Natalie (11 April 2013). "Thomas: It's a blatant cover up". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 2 September 2013.  ^ Moran, Dylan (30 July 2014). " Arthur Allan Thomas May Not Get Police Apology". 3 News.  ^ "Crewe case evidence may have been fabricated: report". ODT. 22 September 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2017.  ^ "Crewe Review". NZ Police. Retrieved 23 March 2017. 

Further reading[edit]

Bell, Terry (1972). Bitter Hill: Arthur Thomas—the case for a retrial. Auckland: Avante-Garde Publishing.  Booth, Pat (1975). Trial by Ambush: the fate of Arthur Thomas. Wellington: South Pacific Press.  Yallop, David A. (1978). Beyond Reasonable Doubt. Hodder and Stoughton. ISBN 0-340-23667-1.  Birt, Chris (2001). The Final Chapter. Auckland: Penguin Books. ISBN 0-14-100629-3.  Hunter, Keith (April 2012). The Case of the Missing Bloodstain : Inside an incompetent and corrupt police inquiry: the truth of the Crewe murders. Auckland: Hunter Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-473-19646-2. 

External links[edit]

Article by Pat Booth in the New Zealand Listener Report urging Police to reopen the case in 2006 Based on Chris Birt's investigation into the identity of the unknown woman. Report of the Royal Commission to Inquire into the Circumstances of the Convictions of Arthur Allan Thomas for the Murders of David Harvey Crewe and Jeanette Lenore Crewe 1980 Investigative journalist Pat Booth 40 years on from the Crewe Murders and what he thinks really happened

Authority control

WorldCat Identities VIAF: 160547