Alpha Phi Delta (ΑΦΔ), commonly referred to as APD, is a Greek social fraternity that evolved from an exclusive Italian society (Il Circolo Italiano) at Syracuse University in 1914.
Seven founding members strove to create a brotherhood that would last long after their college days. They were Brother Cesidio A. Guarini, Brother Ferdinand F. DiBartolo, Brother Anthony T. Frascati, Brother Nicholas Frunzi, Brother Otto Gelormini, Brother Dominic T. Ciolli, and Brother Joseph Cangiamila.
Soon after its founding, Alpha Phi Delta spread from Syracuse and became a national fraternity. Alpha Phi Delta is traditionally an Italian-American heritage fraternity; however, since September 2, 1965, it has welcomed young men of all racial backgrounds.
After the creation of the Alpha Chapter at Syracuse University, Nicholas Frunzi transferred to Columbia University in 1916. He became friends with the brothers of a fraternity that had similar values as Alpha Phi Delta, Sigma Gamma Phi. After convincing the founding fathers of Sigma Gamma Phi to merge, Columbia University became the Beta Chapter of Alpha Phi Delta, hence becoming a national fraternity. As time passed the fraternity grew bigger. Unfortunately, a lot of chapters have been shut down due to inactivity. So far the fraternity has around +40 collegiate chapters. In 2015, the fraternity reached 20,000 lifelong members.
Active Chapters and Colonies
Alpha Phi Delta is the top represented fraternity in the New York City Tri-State Area, and among the top on the East coast.
This section needs additional citations for verification
. (July 2011)
- John Cerbone, professional hypnotist; author
- Ben Ciccone, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Nicholas DeCarbo, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers; Head Coach at Duquesne and Columbia University
- Al DeMao, professional football player, Washington Redskins
- Joe DeNardo, Emmy-winning Pittsburgh meteorologist
- Aldo Donelli, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Orlando DiGirolamo, jazz musician
- Vincent D'Onofrio, honorary member, actor, Law And Order: Criminal Intent, Full Metal Jacket, and Men in Black
- Harvey Golub, former CEO of American Express; current CEO of the American International Group
- Henry Mancini, honorary member; Academy Award-winning musician
- Ray Mancini, honorary member; two-time world boxing lightweight champion
- Armand Niccolai, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- John A. Notte, Jr., Governor of Rhode Island, 1961–63
- Scott O'Neil, CEO of the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils
- Ralph Penza, NBC news anchor
- Joey Powers, composer and musician; had Top 10 1964 Hit "Midnight Mary"
- George Rado, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers
- Mark Rodak, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Rams, 1939-1942; Case Western University
- Alfred Edward Santangelo, U.S. Representative from New York 18th District, 1957–63
- Frank Sinatra, honorary member; singer and actor
- Pete Van Wieren, former announcer for the Atlanta Braves
- Sal Vulcano, actor on the TV show Impractical Jokers
- Silvio Zaninelli, professional football player, Pittsburgh Steelers