ADOLPH NORTHEN (also credited as ADOLF NORTHEN, ADOLF NORTHERN or ADOLPH NORTHERN) (6 November 1828 – 28 May 1876) was a German painter.
Chiefly depicting battle scenes and particularly events of the Napoleonic Wars , Northen's most noted works include
* Napoleon\'s Retreat from Russia which depicts the failure of the
1812 invasion of Russia by
Northern died in Düsseldorf aged 48.
Prussian Attack at
Gypsy Caravan *
Napoleon's Retreat from Russia
* Champlin, John Denison Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings, 2005 * Krafft, Eva Maria Katalog der Meister des 19. Jahrhunderts in der Hamburger Kunsthalle, 1969
* Artnet Adolf Northen retrieved 6 July 2007
* ^ Krafft p. 238 * ^ Art.com Adolf Northern Gallery retrieved 6 July 2007 * ^ Artnet Adolf Northen retrieved 6 July 2007 * ^ A B Champlin p. 353 * ^ Battle of Waterloo Prussian Army Artwork retrieved 6 July 2007
* WorldCat Identities * VIAF : 8155568 * GND : 117057681 * ULAN : 500109122 * RKD : 59981