ABU AL-FIDA (Arabic : أبو الفداء; NOVEMBER 1273 –
OCTOBER 27, 1331), FULLY ABU AL-FIDA\' ISMA\'IL IBN \'ALI IBN MAHMUD
AL-MALIK AL-MU\'AYYAD \'IMAD AD-DIN and better known in English as
ABULFEDA, was a Kurdish historian , geographer and local governor
* 1 Life * 2 Works * 3 See also * 4 Notes
* 5 References
* 5.1 Citations * 5.2 Sources
* 6 Further reading * 7 External links
In his boyhood he devoted himself to the study of the Qur\'an and the sciences, but from his twelfth year onward, he was almost constantly engaged in military expeditions, chiefly against the crusaders .
In 1285 he was present at the assault of a stronghold of the Knights
of St. John , and took part in the sieges of Tripoli , Acre and
Qal\'at ar-Rum . In 1298 he entered the service of the
For more than twenty years all together he reigned in tranquillity and splendour, devoting himself to the duties of government and to the composition of the works to which he is chiefly indebted for his fame. He was a munificent patron of men of letters, who came in large numbers to his court. He died in 1331.
* The Concise History of Humanity or Chronicles (Arabic :
المختصر في أخبار البشر - تاريخ أبى
الفداء) (History of Abu al-Fida); his chief historical
work is An Abridgment of the History at the Human Race, in the form of
annals extending from the creation of the world to the year 1329
* ^ Other forms of his name include ABUL-FIDA\' AL-ḤAMAWI, ABUL FIDA ISMAIL HAMVI, and ABU ALFIDA.
* ^ The Kurds: A Concise Handbook, p. 45, at
* Gibb, H.A.R. (1986). "Abu'l Fidā". The Encyclopaedia of Islam. Volume 1: A-B. Leiden: Brill. pp. 118–119. * Studies on Abul-Fida' al-Ḥamawi (1273-1331 A.D.) by Farid Ibn Faghül, Carl Ehrig-Eggert, E. Neubauer. Institute for the History of Arabic-Islamic Science (Institut für Geschichte der Arabisch-Islamischen Wissenschaften) at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 1992. * Encyclopedie de l'Islam, 2nd ed. E.J. Brill, Leiden and G.P. Maisonneuve, Paris, 1960. (in French)
* de Slane, Baron (1872). "Autobiographie d'Abou 'L-Fedā: Extraite de sa chronicle". Recueil des Historiens des Croisades: Historiens Orientaux. (in French). 1. Paris: Imprimerie Nationale. pp. 166–186, 745–751.
* Vernet, J. (2008) . "Abu’l-Fidāʾ Ismāʿīl Ibn ʿAlī Ibn Maḥmūd Ibn … Ayyūb, ʿImād