At the establishment of the
.jp domain the domain was administered by
JPNIC , as part of their role as an overseeing technical body for
.jp registrations are only allowed if the registrant has a physical address in Japan.
Registrations are processed via accredited registrars and domain names with Japanese characters (kanji , hiragana or katakana ) may be registered at the second level.
* 1 Second-level domains
* 1.1 Geographical type jp domain names
* 2 Internationalized country code top-level domain * 3 See also * 4 References * 5 External links
While any party with a Japanese mailing address can get a second-level domain (example.jp) there are several restricted-use second-level domains, listed below.
* AC.JP: higher level academic institutions, such as universities * AD.JP: JPNIC members * CO.JP: most forms of incorporated companies, including foreign companies registered in Japan * ED.JP: educational institutions for individuals under 18 * GO.JP: Japanese government ministries and their endeavours * GR.JP: groups of two or more people, or groups of registered companies * LG.JP: local government authorities * NE.JP: network service providers * OR.JP: registered organizations and non-profit organizations
GEOGRAPHICAL TYPE JP DOMAIN NAMES
Domains listed below are reserved for the local governments in Japan:
* METRO.TOKYO.JP: reserved for the government of Tokyo Metropolis * PREF.(PREFECTURENAME).JP: reserved for the prefectural government * CITY.(CITYNAME).JP: reserved for cities designated by government ordinance * CITY.(CITYNAME).(PREFECTURENAME).JP: reserved for non-designated cities and, wards and cities within Tokyo * TOWN.(TOWNNAME).(PREFECTURENAME).JP: reserved for towns * VILL.(VILLAGENAME).(PREFECTURENAME).JP: reserved for villages
INTERNATIONALIZED COUNTRY CODE TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN
* ^ Statistics /
* IANA .jp whois information *