''Mayans M.C.'' is an American crime drama
television series created by Kurt Sutter
and Elgin James
, that premiered on September 4, 2018 on FX
. The show takes place in the same fictional universe as ''Sons of Anarchy
'' and deals with the Sons' rivals-turned-allies, the Mayans Motorcycle Club. In October 2018, FX renewed the series for a second season
, which premiered on September 3, 2019. In November 2019, the series was renewed for a third season which premiered on March 16, 2021.
''Mayans M.C.'' takes place two-and-a-half years after the events of ''Sons of Anarchy'' and is set hundreds of miles away in the fictional California border town of Santo Padre. The series focuses on the struggles of Ezekiel "EZ" Reyes
, a prospect in the charter of the Mayans M.C. based on the U.S.–Mexico border
. EZ is the gifted son of a proud Mexican family, whose American dream was snuffed out by cartel violence. Now, his need for vengeance drives him toward a life he never intended and can never escape.
Cast and characters
* J. D. Pardo
as Ezekiel "EZ" Reyes, a former prospect now full patch member of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter who joined the club following his release from prison. He's the younger brother of fellow club member Angel Reyes, who sponsored him during his time as a prospect, and is the son of Felipe and Marisol Reyes. He later starts a relationship with Gaby.
* Clayton Cardenas as Angel Reyes, full patch member and later ''Él Secretario'' (Secretary) of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. He's the older brother of EZ and the son of Felipe and Marisol. He later has a relationship with Adelita and is the father of their child.
* Sarah Bolger
as Emily Galindo (née Thomas), EZ's former childhood sweetheart, now the wife of Miguel Galindo and the mother of his son, Cristóbal Galindo II, who's named after Miguel's deceased brother. She is also the older sister of Erin Thomas.
* Michael Irby
as Obispo "Bishop" Losa, the ''Presidente'' of Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. He is one of the three ''Kings'' of the Mayans M.C. and cousins with its founder Marcus Alvarez. He had a young son with Antonia Pena, Aidan Losa, who died in a car accident which continues to haunt him.
* Carla Baratta
as Luisa "Adelita" Espina, who as a child watched her family die at the hands of the Galindo Cartel. She is the leader of Los Olvidados (The Forgotten Ones), a group of Mexican rebels who are devoted to fighting the Galindo Cartel. She later has a relationship with Angel and gives birth to their child.
* Richard Cabral
as Johnny "El Coco" Cruz, a former Marine sniper and full patch member of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. He's the father of Leticia Cruz and the son of Celia. He later suffers from a severe painkiller addiction, which progresses to heroin, after being partially blinded in his right eye leading to tensions rising between him and the rest of the club.
* Raoul Trujillo
as Che "Taza" Romero, the ''Vice Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. He was also a former member of the Vatos Malditos M.C. but left after its president, El Palo, killed his own brother David, with whom Taza was in a secret relationship.
* Antonio Jaramillo as Michael "Riz" Ariza, a Santo Padre local and ''Él Secretario'' of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. He is also the nephew of Vicki. (seasons 1–2)
* Danny Pino
as Miguel Galindo, the leader of the Galindo Cartel, a Mexican drug cartel, who took over leadership following the death of his father, and cartel founder, Jose Galindo. He's the husband of Emily, the father of her son Cristóbal and the son of Jose's widow Dita Galindo.
* Edward James Olmos
as Felipe Reyes, a once-strong Mexican patriarch who owns a butcher shop in Santo Padre. He is the father of Angel and EZ through his deceased wife Marisol and is later revealed as the biological father of Miguel through his former lover Dita.
* Emilio Rivera
as Marcus Álvarez
, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the now former national ''President'', or ''El Padrino'' (The Godfather), of the Mayans M.C. and its Oakland Charter, the founding charter of the Mayans M.C. Now the Galindo Cartel ''consigliere
'', he advises its leader Miguel. (recurring season 1; main season 2–present)
* Sulem Calderon as Gabriela "Gaby" Castillo, a recent immigrant to the U.S. who seeks to build a new life for herself and her family. She is later EZ's girlfriend. (guest season 2; main season 3)
* Frankie Loyal Delgado as Hank "El Tranq" Loza, a former bare-knuckle brawler and ''El Pacificador'' (''Sgt-at-Arms'') of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter.
* Joseph Raymond Lucero as Neron "Creeper" Vargas, an ex-junkie from Los Angeles and ''Capitan Del Camino'' (''Road Captain'') of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter.
* Vincent “Rocco” Vargas
as Gilberto "Gilly" Lopez, a good-natured mixed martial arts
(MMA) fighter and full patch member of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter.
* Tony Plana
as Devante Cano, the Galindo Cartel ''consigliere'' who loyally served Jose Galindo and mentors his successor Miguel Galindo. (season 1)
* Ada Maris
as Dita Galindo, Miguel's mother and Jose's widow. She also has a history with Felipe Reyes, her former lover. (recurring seasons 1–2; guest season 3)
* Gino Vento
as Nestor Oceteva, the head of security for the Galindo Cartel and a childhood friend of Miguel's.
* Joe Ordaz as Paco, Miguel's personal driver and a member of the Galindo Cartel. (seasons 1–3)
* Maurice Compte
as Kevin Jimenez, a highly regarded DEA agent who makes it his personal mission to take down the Galindo Cartel. (season 1)
* Curtiss Cook
as Larry Bowen, a DEA agent who works with Kevin on taking down the Galindo Cartel. (season 1)
* Salvador Chacon as Pablo, the second-in-command of Los Olvidados who serves as Adelita's right-hand man. (seasons 1–3)
* Melony Ochoa as Mini, known as "La Ratona" (The Mouse), she's a child member of Los Olvidados who has a close relationship with Adelita.
* Daniel Faraldo as Father Rodrigo, a Christian priest who preaches in Santo Padre and is an old friend of Felipe. He also has a history with Adelita's father, Pedro Espina. (season 1)
* Alexandra Barreto
as Antonia Pena, the mayor of Santo Padre and Katrina's wife. She is the former lover of Bishop and the mother of their deceased son, Aidan Losa. (seasons 1–3)
* Michael Ornstein
as Chuck "Chucky" Marstein, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'', who now works at a junkyard in Santo Padre for the Mayans M.C. (seasons 1–2)
* Ada Luz Pla as Celia, Coco's manipulative mother who works as a prostitute and raised her grandaughter Leticia Cruz as her own. (recurring season 1; guest season 3)
* Emily Tosta
as Leticia Cruz, Coco's daughter who was raised by her grandmother Celia for most of her life believing she was his younger sister.
* Edwin Hodge
as Franky Rogan, a police officer in the Santo Padre Police Department.
* Ray McKinnon
as Lincoln "Linc" James Potter, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the Assistant U.S. Attorney, now investigating both the Mayans M.C. and Los Olvidados. (seasons 1–2)
* David Labrava
as Happy Lowman
, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the ''Sgt-at-Arms'' of SAMCRO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club, Redwood Originals), the founding charter of the Sons of Anarchy M.C. He is later the acting ''President'' of SAMDINO (Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club, San Bernardino Charter). (guest season 1; recurring season 2–present)
* Ivo Nandi as Oscar "El Oso" Ramos, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the ''Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Stockton Charter and one of the three ''Kings'' of the Mayans M.C. (seasons 2–3)
* Jimmy Gonzales as Canche, the ''Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Yuma Charter and one of the three ''Kings'' of the Mayans M.C. (season 2–present)
* Mía Maestro
as Sederica Palomo, a Mexican governor who works with Miguel Galindo in secret. (season 2–present)
* Efrat Dor
as Anna Linares, a government agent working with Lincoln Potter in the investigation of the Mayans M.C. and Los Olvidados. (seasons 2–3)
* Mikal Vega as Hobart, a mercenary squad leader hired by Lincoln Potter to destroy Los Olvidados. (season 2)
* Malaya Rivera Drew
as Ileana, an old friend of Emily now working for the Santo Padre city council. (season 2)
* Mike Beltran as Ibarra, the ''Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Tucson Charter and a close ally of the Santo Padre charter. (guest season 2; recurring season 3)
* Vanessa Giselle as Hope, a heroin addict who forms a close relationship with Coco. She is later a member of Isaac's drug community at Meth Mountain. (guest season 2; recurring Season 3)
* Momo Rodriguez as Esteban "Steve" Estrada, the new prospect for the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter, who's dreamed of joining a M.C. his whole life. (season 3)
* Justina Adorno as Stephanie/ "Nails", the bartender at the clubhouse of the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter. She later becomes pregnant with Angel's child after a recurring fling with him. (season 3)
* Holland Roden
as Erin Thomas, Emily Galindo's younger sister, who moves to Santo Padre to live with her and reconnect. (season 3)
* JR Bourne
as Isaac, the leader of a drug community based outside of Santo Padre at an encampment dubbed 'Meth Mountain'. (season 3)
* Spenser Granese as Butterfly, a drug dealer and member of Isaac's drug community at Meth Mountain. (season 3)
* Robert Patrick
as Les Packer, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the ''President'' of SAMDINO. (seasons 1–2)
* Emiliano Torres as Dondo, the ''Vice Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Stockton Charter. (season 1–present)
* Peter Navy Tuiasosopo
as Afa, the leader of the Basetown Tribe, a Samoan-American street gang based in Santo Padre. (season 1)
* Monica Estrada as Maria, a housekeeper who works for Miguel Galindo, often looking after his son Cristóbal and caring for his mother Dita. (seasons 1–3)
* Katey Sagal
as Gemma Teller Morrow
, reprising her role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' during a flashback as the matriarch of SAMCRO. (season 1)
* Noel G.
as Louie, a member of the Dogwood Crew, a Mexican street gang based in Santo Padre. (seasons 1–3)
* Diego Olmedo as Andres, a child member of Los Olvidados who acts as a mole for the Galindo Cartel. (season 1)
* Elpidia Carrillo
as Vicki, the owner of a discreet brothel outside Santo Padre which secretly hides a tunnel that goes under the Mexico-U.S. border. She is also the aunt of Riz. (seasons 1–3)
* Rusty Coones as Rane Quinn, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as a full patch member of SAMCRO. (seasons 1–2)
* Ray Nicholson as Hallorann, a prospect for SAMCRO who is sponsored by Happy. (seasons 1–2)
* Roel Navarro as Pavia, the ''Vice Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Tuscon Charter. (season 2–present)
* Loki as Lobo, the ''El Pacificador'' of the Mayans M.C., Tuscon Charter. (season 2–present)
* Yvonne Valadez as Marisol Reyes, the deceased mother of Angel & EZ Reyes and the wife of Felipe Reyes. She was killed by Happy Lowman after a murder-for-hire contract was placed on her and Felipe by Dita Galindo out of jealousy. She only appears through flashbacks. (seasons 2–3)
* John Pirruccello as O'Grady, a corrupt detective in the Stockton Police Department who works with the Mayans M.C., Stockton Charter. (season 2–present)
* Kikéy Castillo as Dr. Luna, the therapist of Dita Galindo in Santo Padre. (seasons 2–3)
* Michael Anthony Perez as Luis, a member of the Galindo Cartel who often works with Marcus Alvarez as muscle. (season 2–present)
* Elizabeth Frances as Katrina, the wife of Santo Padre mayor Antonia Pena. (seasons 2–3)
* Gregory Gruz as El Palo, ''El Unico'' (The One, aka President) of the Vatos Malditos Motorcycle Club, who make their money through human trafficking and recruit members without the prospecting process. (season 2–present)
* Tommy Flanagan
as Filip "Chibs" Telford
, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the ''President'' of SAMCRO. (season 2)
* Jacob Vargas
as Allesandro Montez, reprising his role from ''Sons of Anarchy'' as the ''Road Captain'' of SAMCRO. He is also loosely affiliated with El Palo and the Vatos Malditos M.C. (seasons 2–3)
* Denise G. Sanchez as Alicia, a single mother who works with the Mayans M.C., Santo Padre Charter to earn money. (season 3)
* Hector Verdugo as Otero, the ''Vice Presidente'' of the Mayans M.C., Yuma Charter. (season 3)
* Patricia de Leon
as Diana Alvarez, the wife of Marcus Alvarez who lives in Santo Padre with him. (season 3)
* Judah Benjamin & Obadiah Abel as Cristóbal Galindo, the young son of Miguel and Emily Galindo. (season 3)
* Keong Sim
as Juan Denver, a drug smuggler for the Galindo Cartel who listens to and quotes John Denver
songs. (season 3)
* Natalia Cordova-Buckley
as Laura, the sister of El Palo, who is distant from him for killing their brother. (season 3)
* Alex Fernandez
as Diaz, a founding member and ''President'' of the Mayans M.C., Oakland Charter, taking over from Marcus Alvarez. (season 3)
* Guillermo García
as El Banquero, the leader of Lobos Nueva Generación, a radical orginization made up of the remnants of the Lobos Sonora Cartel, who were previously defeated by the Galindo Cartel under Jose Galindo. (season 3)
Season 1 (2018)
Season 2 (2019)
Season 3 (2021)
On May 11, 2016, it was announced that FX had begun formal script development on a spinoff of the television series ''Sons of Anarchy''. The long-rumored offshoot, entitled ''Mayans M.C.'', was created by Kurt Sutter and Elgin James, with James writing the pilot script and both executive producing. Production companies announced as being involved with the series included Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.
On December 1, 2016, FX officially gave the production a pilot order. It was also announced that Sutter would direct the series' pilot episode.
On July 5, 2017, it was announced that the pilot would be undergoing reshoots and that Norberto Barba
would be replacing Sutter as director of the episode as Sutter planned to exclusively focus on the writing of the episode. Additionally, it was reported that various roles would be recast and that Barba would also be serving as an executive producer.
On January 5, 2018, FX announced at the annual Television Critics Association
's winter press tour that the production had been given a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. On June 28, 2018, it was reported that the series would premiere on September 4, 2018. On October 1, 2018, it was announced that FX had renewed the series for a second season which premiered on September 3, 2019. On November 4, 2019, FX renewed the series for a third season which is set to premiere on March 16, 2021.
In February 2017, it was announced that Edward James Olmos
, John Ortiz
, J. D. Pardo
, and Antonio Jaramillo had been cast in lead roles in the pilot. In March 2017, it was reported that Richard Cabral
, Sarah Bolger
, Jacqueline Obradors
, and Andrea Londo
had also been cast. In October 2017, it was announced that Michael Irby
and Raoul Trujillo
had been cast in series regular roles. In November 2016, it was reported that Emilio Rivera
would be reprising his role of Marcus Álvarez from ''Sons of Anarchy'' in the series. On April 25, 2017, it was announced that Carla Baratta
would be replacing Andrea Londo in the role of Adelita. Additionally, it was reported that Maurice Compte
had been cast in a potentially recurring role. On May 1, 2017, it was reported that Efrat Dor would joining the cast in a potentially recurring capacity. In October 2017, it was announced that Danny Pino
and Vincent “Rocco” Vargas
had been cast in the pilot with Pino in a starring role.
In April 2018, it was announced that Gino Vento and Tony Plana
had been cast in recurring roles. On July 22, 2018, Sutter revealed in an interview with ''Deadline Hollywood
'' that Ortiz and his character had been replaced by Irby and his character during the reshoots of the pilot episode.
Principal photography for the pilot episode was expected to begin in March 2017.
In July 2017, it was reported that the pilot would undergo reshoots that would take place in late summer 2017.
Those reshoots reportedly began during the week of October 23, 2017 in Los Angeles.
On May 8, 2018, FX released the first teaser trailer for the series. On July 19, 2018, the official trailer was released.
On June 8, 2018, the series held an official world premiere sneak peek at the annual ATX Television Festival
in Austin, Texas
. Co-creators Kurt Sutter
and Elgin James
, executive producer/director Norberto Barba
, and cast members took part in the Republic of Texas Motorcycle Rally in downtown Austin. This was followed by a screening of an exclusive clip from the show and a question-and-answer panel at the Paramount Theatre
with guests including producers Sutter, James, and Barba as well cast members such as J. D. Pardo
, Clayton Cardenas, Sarah Bolger
, Carla Baratta
, Richard Cabral
, Antonio Jaramillo, Emilio Rivera
, Danny Pino
, Michael Irby
, Vincent “Rocco” Vargas
, Raoul Trujillo
, and Frankie Loyal.
On July 22, 2018, the series held a panel at San Diego Comic-Con
in Hall H of the San Diego Convention Center
in San Diego
. The panel was moderated by ''Entertainment Weekly
''s Lynnette Rice and included creators Sutter and James as well as cast member J.D. Pardo. The panel also included a screening of the first thirteen minutes of the pilot episode.
On August 28, 2018, the series held its official premiere at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre
in Los Angeles
. Those in attendance included J.D. Pardo, Edward James Olmos, Sarah Bolger, Michael Irby, Clayton Cardenas, Kurt Sutter, Katey Sagal, Raoul Max Trujillo, Danny Pino, Antonio Jaramillo, Richard Cabral, Maurice Compte, Carla Baratta, Emilio Rivera, and Yadi Valeria.
As of 2018 ''Mayans M.C.'' is airing in the following countries and channels:
The series premiered on September 4, 2018, on FoxPremium in South America and FXNow in Canada. It premiered on September 5, 2018, on Fox Showcase
in Australia, Canal+
in France, Neon in New Zealand, and HBO
in Denmark, Norway, Spain, Finland and Sweden.
In 2019, it was made available in the UK by BBC iPlayer.
The series was initially met with a mixed to positive reception from critics. However, as the series progressed, reception became more positive.
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes
, the first season holds a 72% approval rating with an average rating of 6.43 out of 10 based on 36 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "''Mayans M.C.'' is a thrilling drama with compelling characters, but it struggles to find its pace and the Tellers are hard to forget." On Metacritic
, the season has a score of 57 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
The second season received more positive reviews than the first. On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes
, the season holds a perfect 100% approval rating with an average rating of 7.75 out of 10 based on 5 reviews.
Awards and nominations
Category:2010s American crime drama television series
Category:2018 American television series debuts
Category:English-language television shows
Category:Sons of Anarchy
Category:FX Networks original programming
Category:American television spin-offs
Category:Mexican television series
Category:Television shows set in California
Category:Television series by 20th Century Fox Television
Category:Television series about organized crime
Category:Hispanic and Latino American television
Category:Works about Mexican drug cartels
Category:Works about organized crime in the United States
Category:Works about outlaw motorcycle clubs