Goodwin University is a private university in East Hartford, Connecticut
Goodwin University began as Data Institute Business School in 1962. In 2004, the college transitioned to not-for-profit status and was granted accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges
(NEASC). In 2008, the Connecticut Board of Governors for Higher Education authorized Goodwin University to offer baccalaureate programs.
In 2005, Goodwin University initiated a major project to construct a new campus along the Connecticut River
in East Hartford. The university had purchased riverfront property that was home to a defunct oil terminal, and took steps to redevelop the site in partnership with state and federal environmental agencies and the Connecticut Development Authority
(CDA). The site had been designated as a brown field, or contaminated area, by the Environmental Protection Agency
, and the university removed 30 large oil storage tanks and conducted soil remediation
with the help of state and federal funding.
In January of 2021, it was announced that Goodwin University would be taking over the University of Bridgeport
in Bridgeport, Connecticut
, and operating it as a subsidiary, although UB would retain its own name and brand.
Goodwin University is accredited by the accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education
(NECHE), formerly known as the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
Programs accredited by specific accreditors include:
* The Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
* The Early Childhood Education program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children
* The Funeral Service Associate Degree Program is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education
* The certificate program in Medical Assisting is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
* The Associate in Science degree in Nursing is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
* The baccalaureate degree program in nursing (RN-to-BSN and ABSN) is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
* The Occupational Therapy Assistant Program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
* The Respiratory Care Associate in Science program ais accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care
* The Vision Care Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation
The Goodwin University campus is home to three magnet schools: Connecticut River Academy
, an early college and sustainability themed magnet high school; Riverside Magnet School, a Reggio Emilia themed magnet elementary school; and Pathways Academy of Design and Technology, a design and technology themed magnet high school.
Category:1999 establishments in Connecticut
Category:Buildings and structures in East Hartford, Connecticut
Category:Educational institutions established in 1999
Category:Private universities and colleges in Connecticut
Category:Universities and colleges in Hartford County, Connecticut